Now that you have the job you need to be aware of a couple of things before you start the job.

  • There are many forms that you will need to sign. When you sign something you make it a legal document. Always be sure you understand what it is you are signing before you sign. If you don’t understand ask for help and ask questions. Do not sign until you truly know what you are signing.
  • Before you begin working you will need to complete an I-9 Employability Eligibility Verification form and a W-4 Employees Withholding Allowance Certificate form.
  • If you are under the age of 18 you will need to get a work permit or an education certificate. The employer will require these forms to be completed before you get paid.

Required Forms

I-9 Employability Eligibility Verification FormThis form is required by the government and ensures that you are able and legal to work in the USA. Both the employer and you are required to fill out the form. You will be asked to prove that you are a citizen by presenting a birth certificate, a social security card, a passport or ID. These documents will verify that you are eligible to work in the US. For more information on the I-9 Form go to:

W-4 Employees Withholding Allowance CertificateThis form is an IRS form used to figure out how much money you should pay in taxes to the government. Ask for help if you do not understand it. For more information on the W-4 Form go to:

Working Papers

Employment permit: In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts all youth under the age of 18 must complete an employment permit application and obtain the permit before starting a new job. Click here of an employment permit application. When filling out the application you will need the signature of your new employer, the superintendent of schools, your parent, guardian or custodian. Depending on your age (14 and 15 years) you will also need your doctor’s signature.

Most high school guidance offices give out these forms and assist you with the process.   It is best to start with the superintendent’s office in the town where you live to find out where to get your working papers and what else you may need. You must obtain working papers even if you are not in school. Each time you begin a new job you will need to get a new work permit.